Thursday 13 November 2008

Welcome to Winnipeg


Welcome to Winnipeg


I just arrived at my hotel after flying in from Toronto. On the plane were several MPs as well as supporters from ridings around the GTA. Several people were taking the policy debates seriously as there were some spirited discussions around me.


I have not been to the convention center yet, although I am looking forward to going there shortly. This conference has a different feeling than the past policy conference in Montreal. First of all our party is in government. Second, I don't sense any of the concerns from the previous convention regarding the merger of the Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservative parties.


The highlight tonight will be the address from Stephen Harper just prior to heading to Washington for the G20 economic summit. Of course the policy portion will be important and a good chance to survey some of the grassroots membership on where they stand on various issues.


Tonight there are several interesting hospitality events. Helena Geurgis and Rahim Jaffer are holding a "traditional" Manitoba wedding social later this weekend. Tickets will cost $10 with proceeds going to charity. There are hospitality suites being hosted by the Canadian Private Copying Collective, Canada-India Foundation and various national council candidates. There is also a prarie style party tomorrow night.


Early today Jason Kenney spoke. He is holding a cultural event later today with the Outreach caucus. The Manning Centre for Democracy will be making a presentation later today. Earlier today before I got here, there was an event put on by the Canada-Israel Committee and a breakfast with Monte Solberg.


Country singer Paul Brandt is performing tomorrow night.


Overall I am looking forward to the policy resolutions, hospitality suites, networking with other committed volunteers and of course meeting members of our caucus. I am not sure what having blogging credentials entails, but I hope I am able to provide some good coverage once I get to the convention centre. Check back for frequent updates.


Reading the Hill Times on the plane I found out that Lawrence Cannon has been appointed Deputy PM. Congratulations.

In my hotel room I see that Ignatieff has officially entered the race. Warren Kinsella is supporting him. My initial reaction is a yawn.

-Darryl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY