Wednesday 10 September 2008




Darryl Interview with the Pakistani Spectator


One of the things that really appeals to me about Reuters Voices without Votes is the opportunity to interact with bloggers from all over the world. One blog that I would encourage people to visit to get a Pakistani perspective on international affairs would be http://www.pakspectator.com. Below is an interview I did with them last week. This site has interviews with bloggers from all over the world and it is an honor to be included.
-Darryl

***

Would you please tell us something about you and your site?

I started my blog in 2006 as a way to post articles, write opinions and create a conversation with others interested in political opinions. My blog focuses on local issues relevant to Newmarket and also discusses issues important to people in Ontario, Canada and internationally. I do it as a hobby and have enjoyed it thus far.

Do you feel that you continue to grow in your writing the longer you write? Why is that important to you?

Absolutely. As you gain life experience, learn additional facts and consider the perspectives of others; there is no doubt my writing grows and continues to improve. It is important to me because I try and be the best I can be with my website. The more I learn about the world, the better my chances of changing it in a positive way.

I’m wondering what some of your memorable experiences are with blogging?

It is always exciting when you look at your stat counter and see all the world’s nations visit my website. I also get excited when people in the media and in government visit. I enjoy the regular readers who take the time to comment on my posts. I really enjoy opportunities such as the one offered to me in this interview with TPS. I appreciate the platform to share my views in a peaceful and interactive way.

What do you do in order to keep up your communication with other bloggers?

I try and visit many blogs with wide ranging opinions and various geographical locations. I enjoy commenting on others people’s blogs if they write about topics that are of interest to me. I have developed several friendships with others bloggers outside of the virtual world of the internet.

What do you think is the most exciting or most innovative use of technology in politics right now?

YouTube. That site has unlimited potential for political purposes. The United States has really jumped on the popularity of the site. Canada has been slower but that has potential to change in this upcoming election. Facebook is also a cool social networking site that has great potential to bring together people for political purposes. Ultimately the blogs are going to have the biggest impact as they offer the grass roots voter a real chance to express their opinions while at the same time shaking up the mainstream media. In Canadian elections are use of CIMS (data management system) with the Conservative Party and are local use of email marketing have taken our political campaigns to a whole new level. I suspect technology will continue to improve. I think the internet has been great for global relations. In seconds we know what is going on in every part of the world and the potential is unlimited for international conversations such as this one.

Do you think that these new technologies are effective in making people more responsive?

I think they make it a lot easier to get informed politically and also offer an opportunity to have their voice heard as a voter. I think at the end of the day it is up to the people to realize the sacrifices made for their freedom, take the time to get informed and cast a vote so that they can have a say in the decisions that will impact many aspects of individual lives and their standards of living.

What do you think sets Your site apart from others?

I am just another person expressing my views online. I consider myself no different than anyone else who takes the time to blog and would encourage as many others to do the same. Perhaps Canadian and international readers appreciate my interest in foreign affairs and my goal to be not partisan but principled. I try and separate personal attacks from legitimate political criticism. I try and be myself and enjoy feedback from others. I try and get people to think about their views and consider multiple points of view. I try and update as frequently as possible and do not moderate my posts to ensure free speech. The blog is an extension of my personality and life experiences and perhaps that is what makes it unique as would be true for others. Blogging is about grassroots activism and that is important to me.

If you could choose one characteristic you have that brought you success in life, what would it be?

Worth ethic. If you have a goal in life you have to plan and work hard to achieve it.

What was the happiest and gloomiest moment of your life?
Happiest day was probably the day I graduated from the University of Windsor (I am not married and do not have children yet). Gloomiest moment was when I lost my friend and the person who got me into politics Lindsay Mason last year.

If you could pick a travel destination, anywhere in the world, with no worries about how it’s paid for - what would your top 3 choices be?

Italy - my father was born there
Turks and Caicos - tropical paradise and I could use a vacation
Madagascar - because of the unique wildlife and because I have always wanted to see Africa

What is your favorite book and why?

“Hegemony or Survival” by Noam Chomsky. It was so different than all the other books I have read on American foreign policy. It provides a lot of context for the international challenges that the West is currently facing. The “Rise of the Rest” by Fareed Zakaria is also a great read. That is the best book I have read recently and has an important message. If you are interested in the US Election, I don’t think you will be disappointed with Barack Obama’s “Audacity of Hope”.

What’s the first thing you notice about a person (whether you know them or not)?

Usually eye contact. You can tell a lot about a person by looking into their eyes.

Is there anyone from your past that once told you you couldn’t write?
I wrote as a hobby from a young age. Before I wrote about politics, I reported on inside wrestling news. My email subscription list reached 250,000 and I was getting a million hits a week on my site. I owe a lot to my teachers, especially my father who is an English high school teacher. No one has ever told me I couldn’t write, however a few people are not shy about pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes from time to time.

How bloggers can benefit from blogs financially?

Some run ads. Others get jobs in the media or elsewhere. Personally I am not blogging for financial reasons. I just do it because I am passionate about politics and enjoying engaging others who share my passion.

Is it true that who has a successful blog has an awful lot of time on their hands?
I am president of the Newmarket Rotary club, vice-president of the Newmarket-Aurora Conservative Riding Association, a director on the local provincial PC Party Association, member of the North Newmarket Lions Club, member of the Newmarket Heritage Committee and hold a full time job as a public affairs consultant. I am active with several local charities and participate in many events. I also maintain a social life. I think some bloggers may have a lot of time on their hands, others make time for the hobby they love.

What role can bloggers of the world play to make this world more friendlier and less hostile?
Engage in discussions with bloggers from other nations and cultures. Try and come to an understanding and appreciation for the issues that unite us, not those that divide us. Fight for causes like peace, human rights, individual freedoms, individual rights, democracy, prosperity and the rule of law.

Who are your top five favourite bloggers?

1. Strong Conservative (http://strongconservative.blogspot.com)
2. Stephen Taylor (http://www.stephentaylor.ca)
3. Reuters VoiceswithoutVotes (http://www.voiceswithoutvotes.com)
4. Cherniak on Politics (http://jasoncherniak.blogspot.com/)
5. Garth Turner, MP (http://www.garth.ca/weblog/)

Is there one observation or column or post that has gotten the most powerful reaction from people?

Anything about animal cruelty tends to generate a lot of emotion and comments from readers. Elections and major events also spike traffic and generate strong reactions.

What is your perception about Pakistan and its people?

In Canada we have a large Pakistani population and a few of my friends were born or have lived there in the past. I think the people are great and I think the nation has potential to be a leader in the region and a strong example for other Muslim nations. I support the Pakistani people and their quest for democracy. I support the struggle against extremism and efforts to improve the economy. Canada and NATO has a lot of troops in Afghanistan. We need Pakistan to continue as a partner and help us secure the borders where Taliban and Al-Qaeda fighters cross in order to bring peace and stability to the Afghani people. I would also like to see a resolution with Kasmir and one day real peace between India and Pakistan. Personally I was sad to see the tragedy involving Benazir Bhutto and wish the Pakistani people all the best with the current transition following the resignation of Pervez Musharraf and with new President Asif Ali Zardari. I think Pakistan is on the right path and I hope to see improved relations between our countries and other Commonwealth allies in the near future. Pakistan sometimes gets bad press in the West, but it is a crucial nation in terms of international security and peace. I think the West should be supportive of Pakistan’s efforts to curb extremism, embrace democracy and grow the national economy.


Have you ever become stunned by the uniqueness of any blogger?

Individual posts but not so much any particular blogger. I usually only get stunned when someone posts extreme or racist content that is clearly offensive. One blogger I admire is Stephen Taylor in Canada. He has revolutionized the role of the internet in Canada and has worked hard to give the Conservative movement a leg up online over the other opposition parties. He deserves credit for putting together the site “Blogging Tories” and uniting Conservative bloggers on one website.


What is the most striking difference between a developed country and a developing country?

The conditions of those living in poverty is a major difference that has struck me when I travel. As a Rotarian I am often reminded how much those in the West take for granted. Our efforts to eradicate polio and work on clean water projects is something I am especially proud of. I think there is a lot of hope and potential for developing countries. Right now we are seeing double digit growth in some developing nations and that is a positive for their people and standard of livings. I think it is only a matter of time before developing nations begin to have much more influence on global political issues and the international economy through globalization.

What is the future of blogging?

Hopefully it will continue to grow and begin to influence public policy in a more direct way. I think the amount of bloggers are expanding every day. I think the media has started to pay attention to blogs and in many cases have their own. It will be interesting to see in the future if a US president or other world leader maintains a daily blog. Blogging is a reflection of the grassroots and I think long term it will return our political parties, media and government to the people.


You have also got a blogging life, how has it directly affected both your personal and professional life?

You always have to be careful what you write and post online for the world to see. I do not want to embarrass my professional colleagues or place something in cyberspace that I will one day regret posting. It takes up a lot of time, but I enjoy it. Sometimes I am not able to write about things I would like to write about because of considerations at work as well as my role within election campaigns. I am currently single and not sure if my blog, political and charity activism is responsible for that.

What are your future plans?

One day I would like to run for political office, but in the short term I am concerned about my family, friends and professional career as a public affairs consultant. I will continue blogging and see where it takes me.

Any Message you want to give to the readers of The Pakistani Spectator?


Thank you very much for this opportunity. I have enjoyed reading the Pakistani Spectator since I became aware of it and would like to wish all the Pakistani readers all the best with their personal and professional lives. I support those who are fighting for their democratic rights and look forward to great relations between our people and governments. I would be interested to know what the Pakistani people feel about Canada and also the current mission in Afghanistan. Please email me at darrylwolk@gmail.com or visit http://www.wolk.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY