Wednesday 4 May 2011

Beautiful Outcast

Shortly after my arrival in Berlin in July 2010, I was meandering down the main shopping precinct of Friedrichstraße, when I caught glimpse of an astonishingly beautiful woman with shoulder length, grey hair cycling past me. It was only upon second glance that I realised this vision of loveliness was the very spitting image of Nineties Supermodel Kristen McMenamy.

During the early Nineties, McMenamy reached the peak of her fame, creating iconic images with the likes of Helmut Newton, Richard Avedon, Juergen Teller and Steven Meisel. With her bleached eye brows, strong nose, androgynous looks, ever-changing hair colour and formidable personality, McMenamy came to represent the epitome of unconventional beauty. In an interview with i-D, McMenamy recounts how "My upbringing was very Catholic, very strict. I lived in suburban America where you had to fit the norm; otherwise you'd be considered an outcast. I was always an outcast. I fought my whole life against being normal, I'm not gonna start now."

Vogue Italia - May 2011
Photographer - Steven Meisel
Source - fashiongonerogue.com

i-D Magazine - September 2010
Photographer - Daniele Duella & Iango Henzi

i-D Magazine - September 2010
Photographer - Daniele Duella & Iango Henzi
Source - Models.com

In 2010, McMenamy ever the non-conformist, returned to modelling with a vengeance and new waist length silver, grey tresses. At age 46, McMenamy's ensuing editorial appearances in US Vogue, Vogue Italia, Paris Vogue, LOVE, Dazed & Confused, and i-D Magazine have cemented her near legendary status in the fashion industry as a muse to designers, photographers and stylists. 

Vogue Paris - October 2009
Photographer - David Sims
Source - models.com

US Vogue - August 2010
Photographer - David Sims
Source - models.com

LOVE - Issue 3
Photographer - Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Source - models.com

Dazed & Confused - August 2010
Photographer -  Tierney Gearon
Source - models.com


McMenamy continues to enthral, with her latest appearance on the cover of the May 2011 edition of Vogue Italia and in the accompanying editorial shot by Steven Meisel. I have not seen McMenamy looking better. She exhibits an inner calm and confidence whilst also retaining the free spirited nature of her personality. In the same interview with i-D Magazine McMenamy concurs "Well, I am still modelling at 46, that goes to show that there isn't a cut off point for beauty or coolness. I wanna be a rockin' senior citizen!"

Vogue Italia - May 2011
Photographer - Steven Meisel

Vogue Italia - May 2011
Photographer - Steven Meisel

Vogue Italia - May 2011
Photographer - Steven Meisel
Source - fashiongonerogue.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY